This feature is coming soon! Get notified when this feature lands in your account.
Our Form Builder includes fields to capture commonly asked questions and customer data from your website visitors. Yet we understand that occasionally, there’s information that you’ll want to capture from prospective customers that’s unique and beneficial for your business and marketing campaigns. Here we’re going to dive into how you add custom fields to your signup form, and how you can edit your field settings.
This article will cover:
- Custom field types
- Adding a custom field and editing a field’s display options
- Removing custom fields
Custom Field Types
Custom fields, like standard fields, help make up the questions and the content of your signup form. Unlike standard fields, custom fields allow you to change the field names and display names, offering you greater control over what you show to users and how your data will be organized in your reports.
There are two types of custom fields:
- Text Fields: Text fields are intended for simple, single-lined responses, such as a pet’s name, favorite color, or favorite vacation spot.
- Dropdown Fields: Dropdown lists are used to create a list of items from which you want a user to choose. With the Dropdown List field, you can create your own list from scratch by adding in the question, statement, or responses you want to capture.
Add Custom Fields
To add a custom field to your form:
- Navigate to the Setup and Fields tab. On the bottom of the left panel, select Add Field. Scroll to the bottom of the list and select which custom field you want to add to your form.
- Then, drag and drop the custom field block into one of the Form Page blocks, and reorder the custom field on your form.
Edit a Custom Field’s Display Options
Click on the pencil icon to edit a field’s display option. When you add a custom field to your signup form, you will see that each field has a field name and a display name.
The field name is the label that you see at the top of the field settings in the Form Builder. The field name appears internally, and it is used as the label at the top of the column in your audience reports. The field name is only visible to form editors and will never be shown to your subscribers.
Unlike standard fields, you create the field name for custom fields. Custom fields all require a unique field name.
The display name is the text that users, such as your customers and site visitors, will see on your live form.
Just like standard fields, you can update and customize the displayed text once the field has been added to your form. Open the custom field's settings and update the display name. Close out of the field's settings to see the changes reflected in the right-hand preview.
NOTE: We recommend that you do not change the field name for a custom field once a signup form has been published. The form submission data is linked to the field name at the time the form was published on your website. If you change the field name, your data will be reported separately from the original data.
Remove Standard Fields
To remove a standard field from your form, return to your form Setup and Fields tab, and click the trashcan icon .