What is SMS Marketing?
SMS (Short Message Service), or text message marketing, is a powerful marketing tool that is quickly becoming a top revenue channel for digital brands. Similar to email marketing, SMS can help your business deliver information, promotions, and updates about your products and services to a targeted audience via text messages.
Whether you’re just getting started with SMS or you’re already a text messaging pro, DojoMojo makes it easy to get set up quickly and compliantly. From acquisition, to messaging, to performance tracking, DojoMojo provides all the tools you need to develop a robust SMS Marketing program that drives revenue and customer loyalty.
Why choose SMS Marketing?
The uniquely personal nature of this channel enables brands to build stronger connections with their audience and drive incremental revenue. Text messaging boasts significantly stronger deliverability and performance than email, and the opt-in process for your SMS channel creates a filter for your highest-intent customers. With 99% open rates, 30%+ click-through rates, and as high as 28x+ return on investment, text messaging is a key component of an online retailers marketing technology stack.
How does SMS Marketing work?
Similar to other channels, there are a few pieces you need in order to run a successful SMS Marketing program.
- So you have a list of phone numbers and you want to start using mobile messages? Hold on because it's not as simple as that.
- In order for a brand to start marketing to users via text messages, you need to make sure the phone numbers have properly opted-in.
- As personal data is becoming more secure, there are now quite a few lawmakers that are governing how text messaging is used by businesses. Due to this, all SMS Marketing efforts must be compliant with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). This means that businesses must receive written consent from users before sending them text messages. In addition, initial messages must be structured to provide the brand’s identity and opt-out instructions before any marketing message is sent.
- At DojoMojo, we take the guesswork out of compliance and ensure that the phone numbers you collect can be contacted with SMS Marketing campaigns.
Phone Number and Carriers
- You will need to obtain a phone number for your brand before sending SMS messages. DojoMojo makes it easy by assigning you a dedicated toll-free number and dedicated long code (9 digit number). Even with the right phone number, it is up to the mobile carrier to deliver the message. For that reason, our system dynamically uses the best phone number based on the carrier of the target customer.
- It is legally required that SMS Marketing messages allows recipients to respond with questions and to unsubscribe. At DojoMojo, we will automatically set up these requirements with default keywords.
- HELP - if a user sends HELP, they will receive a message to help them gain access to your customer support
- STOP - if a user sends STOP, they will be unsubscribed from your list and send the last confirmation message.
- START - if a user sends START, they will be re-subscribed to your SMS Marketing list.
SMS Marketing Campaigns and Automations
- Once you have all these elements in place, then it’s time for you to start sending! With DojoMojo, you are able to send targeted campaign messages, drip sequences, and automated messages that trigger based on key consumer behavior events (e.g. abandoned cart, first-time purchase, lapsed customer).
Learn more about how to grow your SMS subscriber list.