What's a Tracking Link?
Tracking Links are the customized URLs that allow entrants to access the sweepstakes landing page. These are the links you'll share with your audience to promote your sweepstakes.
You (and every Partner) will have a unique Tracking Link for every channel you use to promote the sweepstakes (social media, a dedicated email, etc). They include the giveaway URL, but include a simple bit of code to each URL that allows DojoMojo to track each visitor to the landing page, ensuring you receive credit for every entry that comes from your link - and your audience.
People will not be able to enter your campaign without the Tracking Link, so it is crucial that you use the correct link when promoting your campaign. If the URL looks long and funky, you’re using the right one!
The best part? On DojoMojo, we create them all for you automatically! We create Tracking Links for you for each of the below promotional channels:
- Dedicated Email
- Banner Ad
- Native Content
Where do I find them?
You can find your Tracking Links in your Campaign Dashboard under Links & Files.
You’ll see a link for every channel you could use to promote the sweepstakes, but you’re only obligated to promote the channels you agreed to in your Partnership Agreement.
What do I need to do with them?
You’ll use the Tracking Links to create your promotions by linking them to images (Creative Assets) to promote the campaign to your audience.
Tracking Link + Creative Asset + the right date = promoting the sweepstakes!
To create a promotion with Tracking Links:
- In your Campaign Dashboard under the Links & Files section, download the Creative Asset for the channel you’re creating a promotion for.
- Upload the asset into your ESP (for a dedicated email), into a draft Facebook post (if you’re sharing on Facebook), or into a Banner Ad, if you’ve agreed to post one.
- Copy the appropriate Tracking Link and link it to the Creative Asset. For example, if you agreed to share the sweepstakes on Facebook, you'd use a Facebook Tracking Link and your Facebook Asset.
- Test and schedule your send so that it will be shared with your audience on the day you agreed to promote the sweepstakes to that channel.
You will need to do this for every channel promotion you agreed to in your Partnership Agreement, but note we have created a link for every possible promotional channel in case you and the Host decide to add more.
View detailed instructions for creating a Dedicated Email promotion with Tracking Links.
Remind me why they are so important, again?
- Your main job as a Partner is to promote the campaign. Tracking Links are how to do just that!
- Tracking Links are the only way for entrants to access your giveaway. Never, ever share a preview link or plain URL (www.giveaway.com/giveaway) with your audience, or they will not be able to enter. If the link you're copying to share is really long and wacky looking, you're using the right one!
- If you and the Host agreed in your Partnership Agreement to have a minimum entry requirement you need to reach before receiving your entries, your Tracking Links ensure you receive credit for every entry that comes from your audience.
- They capture your entries and allow DojoMojo to record accurate analytics and data about your campaign.
- They allow you to view how many entrants come from different promotional channels so you can make sure you’re using the most effective ones. For example, the Tracking Link you create for a Facebook promotion will let you know how many individuals entered your campaign by clicking on your Facebook promotion. This is helpful as you grow your list and seek to optimize your giveaway campaigns.
An Important Note
If you use the incorrect tracking link, it may confuse DojoMojo’s analytics. This runs the risk of misattribution of your entries to the host’s entries.
Not only will this cause confusion, but it will likely hurt your "estimated entries" metric that is shown publicly. This metric is pulled from each campaign in which you are a partner to average the number of emails you drive to campaigns. Brands use the "estimated entries" as a benchmark for inviting or declining potential partners to join a campaign.
To guarantee your entries are properly attributed to your brand, ensure you have the correct tracking link for the promotion type.